Ugh, Costumes


We had preschool yesterday at our house. There is Brilee and two other little girls. We were discussing the calendar and events that happen in October. Of course they all say Halloween. I asked the girls what they were going be for Halloween. Jacklyn said the Tooth Fairy, Megan said a Moon Fairy and Brilee said a Donkey. A donkey?! Once again this is proof that she isn't a girly girl. Fairies, princesses, hair bows - not her thing. I'm okay with a donkey, but I am still annoyed with this holiday. Coming up with a costume is a bit stressful for me so I try to avoid it. My first thought was to dress Brilee up as a Cowboy (she has one from Christmas last year) and then Brayland could be an Indian. Ya know; Cowboys & Indians. I thought it would be cute. Regardless, I still have no idea how to pull off an Indian ; I haven't played around yet to figure that one out. I defiantly do not want to go to Wal-Mart and buy one either - that's 20 bucks! But still if I go with the donkey I really have to put pressure on the creative juices to come up with a budget oriented donkey costume. AND now what is Brayland going to be? Shrek? Ugh, can we skip Halloween. We go to Wal-Mart to do our shopping and of course it is all decked out with spooky stuff. Brayland already gets so scared. Last year he fought closing his eyes all night. I even sat with him on the couch and held him. Still scared to close his eyes. How do keep Halloween happy? If we stay home and pass out candy (which drives me nuts to buy candy) Brayland still sees the costumes at the door. When we go trick-or-treating he sees it all too. Maybe my family will just pretend Halloween doesn't exist. Brian doesn't like it either. Just kidding. I couldn't do that. Send me your thoughts and cheep ideas. I don't want to sew either.
Ok, while at the zoo today I had an after thought about this donkey costume. We were at the petting zoo and Brilee was looking for the two donkeys that are always there. And it hit me that we have been reading about Mary and Joseph, the birth of Christ and his life. Well, Mary rode a donkey all the way to Jerusalem and Jesus rode a donkey into whatever city it was that he went to...yea, I pay attention to the story. Because we haven't watched Shrek in forever. Brilee's thought were in the right place when she said "I want to be a Donkey."

Comments

Amanda said…
yeah, Brayland could be Jesus and ride on Brilee's back. or would that be irreverent? you could just do Brayland as a shepherd, with a donkey...no biblical implication...maybe
Amanda said…
or you could dress Brayland as a pregnant Mary!!!! hahahaha! do that!
Amanda said…
www.mykidrocks.blogspot.com
Jason said…
Wrap them up in aluminum foil and they can both go as leftovers!