Week 5: The Great White North

Broskis, 
As promised the information of who spoke to us at the MTC last week. It was....Elder Bendar! His talk was amazing! We sat in the fourth row and he totally looked into my eyeballs, it was so cool. His eyes were filled with a ton of love. We left the next morning and traveled for the next 9 hours, it felt longer than it was. There was an Elder on the train who recited most of the Emperor's New Groove, it was epic. We sadly had to leave Elder Durham at the MTC cuz his reassignment took forever to come (he's going to North Carolina!) It would have been so cool if he could have come with us, but what cha gonna do. When we landed in Canada they took us to the mission home where we met Prez and sister Gill, they are awesome and I'm so excited they are going to be my Mission Prez the whole time I'm out. We spent the night there and the next day we met our trainers! My trainer is Sister Hawkes and I love her!! She is exactly what I was hoping my trainer would be like. She's been out for a year today! I know it's crazy! I hit my one month tomorrow which is also crazy. 
I got assigned to a town called Abbotsford or as the locals call it Abby. It's 20 minutes from the Washington border, so I can see Mt. Baker and the Vancouver mountains at the same time. We live in a janky apartment in some Indian guy's basement. Our dryer is outside, so we have to wash our clothes inside and then walk the wet clothes outside to dry, not excited to do that in the snow and rain, but that's a bridge we have yet to cross. It's been really nice here. We've been averaging 45 degrees fahrenheit. There's another set of sisters that live in the apartment, I love them! Sister Farris and Sister Pratt are the bomb diggity. For some reason it always either smells like weed or a dairy farm here, it's charming. The people are really nice though! I love the ward I'm in. I'm still trying to get peoples names down, people in Canada have weird last names, no offence. There's tons of diversity here too. I've seen so many different cultures and religions since being here. There is a beautiful Seke temple across the street from the church building. We also saw a wolf run across the street while we were driving to a zone conference. I tried poutine for the first time and honestly I don't understand the hype, even McDonalds has poutine. Oh and they don't have an equivalent for pennies or nickels here so you never get exact change, it's wack. 

Sister Hawkes threw me right into missionary work. We have taught lessons, done service , and gone street contacting. It's nerve racking. But the spirit is so strong and when I start talking to people it's so easy to slip into the conversation. The few lessons we taught the spirit had definitely taken over. I still have so much to learn but I'm so excited! We also teach an English class on Saturday nights, I love it and might consider doing it in the distant future when I get home, but that's in 17 months lol. We were out steet contacting on Sunday at Mill Lake when we ran into an older Ukrainian lady who doesn't speak any English. She saw our tags and asked if we teach about God. When we said yes she typed into Google Translate and asked us to follow her home. I was a little weary cuz I don't usually follow people home but my companion was all over it. So off we went. She invited us in and fed us a ton of Russian candy and wanted us to drink tea but when we said we couldn't she had us drink TWO big glasses of apple cider. We helped her learn how to say "God bless you" in English and a few other phrases. We're going back over on Thursday and found some Missionaries on facebook that speak Russian that we were going to have on a zoom call so we don't have to navigate google translate. So in summary we followed a stranger home that gave us candy and we didn't get kidnaped or murdered. What is my life right now?

See ya next week you beautiful children of God <3  https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1s27UTXcpjU5uGzTdK2sIwWxOazRiwU7y

Comments